Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 1: People Watching in Indonesia

Ok so after we got into our rooms, I somewhat unpacked and passed out.  The group decided to meet at 10 am to grab something to eat before we leave for some shopping and money exchange.  Well we discovered that we needed to do the exchange of money first as we could not buy anything to eat, good thing we made that Sam’s Club run before we left we have so many snacks we can open our own food stand.  We as walked along the many different restaurants in that are adjacent to the residence halls; we are getting some stares from the locals.  The stores in this eating area all have many signs that are in English and they all sell different types of food.   We noticed that they buy the food inside then sit out in the court yard area and eat with friends. It is also much cooler to sit outside then to sit inside.  Did I Mention that it is hot as hell here it is always 88, 89, 90 degrees with humidity of about 99.  You get used to your own sweat really quickly.  Degree deodorant works yall!!






Traffic here is crazy. It is a drive and ride at your own risk.  Motorcycles and mopeds are the major mode of transportation, everyone drives them. There are no traffic lights, no posted speed limits and no cross walks.  Merging into oncoming traffic is game of who can merge the fastest. It was times I had to close my eyes or look away as I thought an accident was going to happen as the driver maneuvered us in and out of traffic.
There are multi membered families on these motorcycles and mopeds: Momma holds the infant in the sling in between the daddy whose arms are steering and holding on to the toddler in the front of the moped- pictures soon to come.

As we sat in the square or food court area, we watched them bring out the dirty dishes and wash them on the road where the only running water spout is located.  I was like ignorance is bliss.  This is the same place where I am supposed to get the majority of my food while I am here in Indonesia.  I really did not need to see that!!

We went to a place called Carrefour it is like a Hy-Vee or Kroger’s. It was there I got some oranges that I can eat for breakfast.  So for breakfast for the next couple of days I will have an orange, some almonds, a granola bar and some green tea.  Some of our lunches are taken care of as we travel to the different school so it is dinner that I have to worry about, oh wait we also got some peanut butter and some bread- I might be saved from eating off the dishes what was washed on the side of the road. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Girl... sounds like you are getting a new cultural experience. I know you are appreciating life in the US even more. I am looking forward to seeing pics of the families on the mopeds. Be safe and continue to enjoy being in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Aja: I'm really loving the blog. The family on the moped is crazy. I'm so sorry that you had to witness the washing of the dishes..SMH This is an experience you will have with you for a lifetime....good and bad!! And, it will give you a renewed sense of appreciation when you get back to the states.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete