Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Today was a good day!

We went to a public school today that gave us a great presentation; I mean they were prepared for us. First of all we had to change the leaving time due to the traffic in Jakarta, because we were late the other school visit.  So we battled the traffic and made it to Public School 70.  Where we were greeted to sign their guest book and given a book on the school that I accidently left there but it was in Indonesia so if I need it I can look at someone else’s. Then we were instructed to mingle with the students and sit with them.  They all stood and told us their names.  They the students danced for us a traditional west Java dance.  It was nice and their outfits were very colorful.  The dance reminded me of the way Black Greeks organization step; it had lot of hand movements and clapping. Then they gave a presentation about their school, we were brought a snack to eat with water.  They love room temp water so you know I love that- but they don’t do 4 lemons like I like it.  They we gave a presentation about Iowa State University.  Then Cameron was called to demonstrate how to toss a football with 3 different groups of students. Then Dr. Hagedorn proceeded to give a presentation of Great American Football. They we sang the ISU fight song I think like 3 times.  The funny thing was it was the first time many of us sang it so you can imagine what that sounded like.
They gave us another dance and we took pictures with them as a group.  A group of kids got up and played a violin, and 3 guitars for us they sound really good and the young lady had a really good voice. I thanked God that it was not that hot today because I know a school tour was coming so I did not sweat that much today.  Oh yeah the basketball was today but the tour was long to we ended up playing a game of knock out.  I have not touched a basketball in like 6 years!!  But I did ok.  We had lunch with the teachers and they explained the food what was in it how to eat it and what to put on it.  Then we had some fruit and sweets, they explained how to open the fruit and what it taste like.   Now they really knew how to host us.  I ate this fruit called Harry Fruit and it was good and Mangosteen both was sweet and had a different taste.  

1 comment:

  1. Very fun. I appreciate how you are relating some of the things you are doing to what it reminds you of here in the U.S. Keep having fun!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete